Thursday, September 8, 2011

HEADLINE: Panic as midnight tremor rattles Delhi


I survived my first (and hopefully only) earthquake!  A 4.2 on the Richter scale.  My husband had just returned home from Aligarh and we sat down to eat around 11:30 PM last night.  We felt a little rumbling, and heard what sounded like a nearby train, and I grabbed my husband's hand as I had no idea what was going on.

Outside, people were fleeing there houses as if they were participating in a school fire drill.  We, perhaps unwisely, stood on our front porch and watched from the third floor.  Fortunately for us, it only lasted some seconds.  Perhaps next time though, we should consider exiting our apartment, just to be safe.

To give you some idea of the personalities I work with at school...  Some of the teachers, one old enough to be my grandmother, reasoned that my husband was the cause of the earth's tremors: "Your husband is home now?  Oh!  That's why there was an earthquake around midnight!"

2 comments:

  1. Wow. It looks like there is much drama over there. I am glad you are okay. We had a tremor of our own here in PA a few weeks ago. It happened in the middle of a talk I was giving to the entire Ursinus faculty. How's that for timing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about powerful rhetoric! How come you never summoned an earthquake during our Writing Center [clears throat], Center for Writing meetings?

    ReplyDelete