Monday, July 4, 2011

Welcome to India!

Now read that title again, with a strong Indian accent this time, so that "Welcome" sounds more like "Velcome," and you pronounce every vowel and consonant with the same precision you did when you were learning Spanish or some other foreign language.  Come to India and, ironically, your English will be improved, guaranteed.

Of the fifteen ETA's that are in India this year, twelve of us were on the same flight out of Chicago yesterday, July 3rd, the day before America celebrates her independence.  (There were supposed to be thirteen of us on the flight, but one unfortunately missed her connecting flight.)  Having met at the Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) in Washington, D.C. one week prior made it easy for all of us to recognize each other at the airport.  We all congregated at the gate from which we were to depart.  One big blob of Americans amid a whole lot of Indians who were, I imagine, either returning to the subcontinent after a temporary stay in the US, or making their annual trip to visit their extended families in India.  Someday, I think to myself, my husband and I will be making this trip.

It was there, from our cozy little pile of people and luggage, that we watched the expected departure time for our flight to Delhi change from the original 4:40 PM to various other in-between increments until reaching the final departure time of 7:10 PM.  I was just glad that this flight was not canceled as was my flight home from the PDO in DC.  But, even if it had been, something would have worked out.

And so continues my preparation for India.  Another reminder of two of the most important items you cannot fit in your suitcase: Patience and flexibility.  Five years ago, one of my dear friends, who happens to be Indian American, kindly asked me why I walk so fast.  And, believe it or not, when I finally considered her comment and consciously slowed down my pace, and breathed deeply, the calmness and patience came with it.  This is part of my trick for adjusting to life in India.

This is not to say that I never walk like a crazy person anymore.  Sometimes I have to just to keep up with my mother.  But the pace of life in India is generally more nonchalant.  And you'll probably find yourself slowing your pace for one reason or another, be it the contagious nature of nonchalance or the high temperatures and humidity that impair your ability to do it any other way.

When we finally arrived at the airport, I rushed ahead to get through Immigration and to claim my baggage.  Not that it was terribly busy when we arrived, but I was eager to see my soon-to-be-husband, whom I knew would be waiting for me at Pillar 15.  My nervous excitement must have been a foil to my fellow ETA's who are leaving behind their (romantic) loved ones back in the States.  The feeling of leaving for an unknown period of time is one that I could relate to all too well.  But, fortunately for me, I now found myself on the opposite, happier end of the spectrum - reuniting with my loved one after almost one year.

From the airport the whole group of us traveled to the ridiculous Taj Mahal Hotel.  And by ridiculous I mean marble fountains and banisters, and being welcomed with leis made of fresh, aromatic jasmine flowers.

More on my conflicting feelings about the Taj in an upcoming post...

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you like to write and will be posting your updates...I am definitely going to be one of your followers because it doesn't make sense for you to keep emailing similar things to everyone unless it's specific to that person.

    It's also good to see you made it there without too many issues and the plane wasn't delayed tooo much. Good thing you had a group of people with you to hopefully make that time go faster. And yes, it's weird to think that you and your husband (still getting used to using that word lol) will hopefully be making those annual 'trips' in the future.

    Also, I believe I may know that Indian American friend of yours^ want to know something funny? At Pitt, I am known to walk fast and get annoyed when people around me walk too slowly lol. Just found that ironic and thought I'd share :)

    Anyways, as sad as I am that you are halfway around the world, we will most probably be just as in touch if not more and it's not like being in the same country really allowed us to see each other much with our schedules soo I've come to the conclusion that this situation is wayy better because at least you will be happier for the most part and I can't wait for you to start this exciting chapter in your life.

    Glad the Taj Mahal hotel was ridiculous...check to see if you can watch movies while your there! I once stayed in this hotel in Calcutta and they had tons of movies available for guests to watch so I could just call downstairs and request to have movies sent up. It was great :) lol.

    Anywayss...love you and stay safe k? You'll be sure to receive an email from me before the "big day" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shobhitha. Always good to hear from you. I swear even your emails/messages are smiling, which makes me smile too :)

    ReplyDelete